Thanks to technological advancement, manual farm activities can now be carried out using sophisticated equipment such as tractor, plough, sprayer, swathers, combines, harvester, among others. The thought of purchasing agricultural equipment is often exciting, however, not everyone can afford to buy when the required budget is considered. Well, the reality is that it comes with a high price. Yet, it's still possible to make the best out of whatever financial strength you have. Purchasing used agricultural equipment may be an ideal alternative after all. Without much ado, you can still get the best at a very pretty amount of money. The advantages of used agricultural equipment are enormous. Buying used agricultural equipment is cost effective, simple and efficient if you are buying from a reputable firm, there's no financial risk involved and there's usually healthy competition.
Agricultural equipment auction is the answer
You can successfully purchase used agricultural equipment at auctions. But before you decide to buy, you must consider a lot of factors. First, you must have thought about where you need to buy it. You should have it at the back of your mind that the selling agency or auctioneer is even much more important than the used agricultural equipment. When you are dealing with an agency whose watchword is integrity, it will be easier to get the best used agricultural equipment.
Meanwhile, it may not be directly possible to ascertain the integrity of an agency but inference can be drawn from what others are saying about them, the level of support you received while making inquiries and even the rate of successful auctions in respect to the equipment being considered.
Having verified the integrity of the agency, in order to get the best, you should also do the following:
Interact with the agency
Nothing beats established communication. Don't be comfortable with just registering online. Put a call across, find out about the auctioneer's mode of operation and keep yourself informed about their types of bidding.
Have a budget
Even if you don't have a huge finance, never make the mistake of entering and auction process without a stated budget. With a clear understanding of the amount you intend to spend, it will be quite convenient to know when to quit an aggressive bidding as soon as it reaches your limit.
Know the lifespan
Buying used agricultural equipment does not mean you cannot get the best on your investment. What is important is paying attention to the maintenance culture given to it by the firsthand user. If it was well maintained, you will definitely enjoy it for a very long time. If you are also buying from a dealer in used agricultural, you should request for condition monitoring documents. To do the aforementioned, it is necessary that you see the equipment before you start the bidding process.
Examine all machinery parts
First, you must see what you are buying. Once this need has been agreed upon between you and the seller, there are certain things you must look out for beyond the condition monitoring. Check out all the specifications mentioned in the document. You should be able to find clear answers to the following questions.
- Do all the parts meet the needs of your farm?
- Is the engine's condition good?
- Is the smoke emission clearly healthy?
- Have the nuts been well greased?
- What kind of fuel does the agricultural equipment use?
- What's the number of hours that it can run? You should ascertain this by asking the seller to put it into operation.
- What is the sound produced by the equipment. This will help you to know if it's working properly.
- How often does the machine go through maintenance? Going ahead to buy used agricultural equipment at an auction irrespective of the number of times it has gone through maintenance is dependent on what warranted it. Is it for the sake of condition maintenance or as a result of breakdown?
- Lastly, if need be, test run the equipment. Well, you can go to the site of the equipment with a mechanic who has expertise in agricultural equipment.
Assess the manufacturer
Questions have been asked over and over again about the need to assess the manufacturer. Well, there are a lot you can get to know about a used agricultural machinery by considering the equipment's manufacturer. Questions like the following should be considered when assessing the manufacturer.
- Is the manufacturer still in business? This question is important because needs may arise to change some parts of used agricultural machinery. Usually, it will be hard to do if the manufacturer is out of business.
- Is it always easy to sell? The answer to this depends on the quality of the equipment. If a manufacturer is known for quality agricultural equipment, finding a buyer will always be easy irrespective of the number of users it has passed through. Consequently, this means resell value may not drop lower than the seller's purchase price.
You need to know whether you will be incuring extra costs apart from the price of the used agricultural equipment. What about tax rules of the local authority in the area you are buying from. Are there rules that apply to shipping and transporting? You should also know if the condition of the equipment makes it road worthy in line with the regulation of the area. Knowing what applies and what does not will help you know about extra costs.
Choose the right auction company
From the above, what is clear is that knowledge is key. Having the right information is second to none, you should therefore equip yourself with the appropriate information about the used agricultural equipment and the seller. Of course, the process becomes effortless if you choose a reputable auction company. Bidding at auction on the platform of a reputable dealer is fast, easy and safe. Being reputable means, it has successfully completed auctions on used agricultural equipment, it has a great database that reaches across the globe, almost everyone is saying something about the company, among others.